Hey Baxter Building supporters, if you know of any 7-13 year-olds who like to make or eat food, we still have spots available in our workshop tomorrow (Saturday November 17) from 1:00-4:30! We’re putting this on with Slow Food PEC.
Just give us the heads up that you are coming by emailing Diana at: email@example.com. The total cost (workshop plus ingredients fee) is only $15, and you’ll have oven-ready bread and homemade butter!
This is from our last workshop, shadow puppets with Krista Dalby. There is talk that Krista will be back to do a lantern making workshop in advance of an exciting lantern festival project she is working on for the spring! I made a lantern with her a few weeks back. Super fun!
Our adventure begins in style….
We have a number of programs up and running- with more upcoming!
Sign up Now for:
- Shadow Puppet Workshop with Krista Dalby of Small Pond Arts – OCTOBER 20, 2012 – 10am-4:30pm – AGES 7-13- $25!
- Bread and Butter with Slow Food PEC – NOVEMBER 17, 2012 – 1:00-4:30pm – AGES 7-13 – $15!
LIFE DRAWING UPDATE- AND NEW DEAL!
Life Drawing with Anne Ireland began with an excellent session yesterday (Wednesday) evening. But, due to demand for more frequent sessions and, in an effort to sign up more people, we are going to double the number of classes for the SAME PRICE! That’s right. We will be running life drawing every 2 weeks instead of once a month for the same price of $115 plus tax! Give Life Drawing a try! Contact Lenny at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-438-3165 to register.
The Donation that Makes Our Hearts Sing!
Here’s an important update regarding a few subjects…
- Please join us to kick off programming life at the Baxter Building this Sunday September 30th between 1-4pm. We will meet at the Baxter Building (3 Stanley St. Bloomfield) and join Bay Woodyard and members of the Honey Pie gang as they take us on a secret walk through wild spaces of Bloomfield to forage wild plants. Then, back to the Centre for a costume tea party. We may even have a surprise new addition at the Baxter Building to play with (if it arrives on time)!
- IMPORTANT CHANGE TO LIFE DRAWING SCHEDULE! – Due to unexpected scheduling conflicts with our instructor, there will be a new time for the EVENING SESSIONS (Session B). The morning sessions will remain the same. The NEW TIME for Life Drawing with Anne Ireland Session B is: The second Wednesday evening of each month beginning October 10th at 6:30pm. Hopefully this allows for people who were previously unable to attend, to be there! Please contact Lenny (email@example.com) 613-438-3165 to register or with questions.
- Please, Sign up for programs now! We need people attending our programs because our instructors can not teach empty chairs how to make art (no matter what Clint Eastwood believes!) We are looking for folks to sign up for our weekly programs (Essentials of Digital Photography for Adults and Creative Kids Multi-Arts Adventure). These promise to be great, but we need a few more folks to make them happen! Please register…and pass on the link to our program guide to friends who might be interested!
2) Annual General Meeting
- Sounds about as fun as playing tuba under water, right? Well, this is going to be the best AGM since the Underwater Tuba Players Guild bash of 1999, which, from the stories I’ve heard, I’m sorry I missed. Seriously though, it is the first real chance since last April to meet the faces behind BCfC, get updates, and join groups to push forward with different objectives (programming, facility improvement, communications, and partnerships and fundraising for example.) Open to the public. In fact, become a member right there! (but only members from the past year can vote…) If you are interested in joining forces with your community’s newest public arts venue and education centre, then our AGM is the place to be!
EVENT: Bloomfield Centre for Creativity Annual General Meeting
LOCATION: Bloomfield Centre for Creativity (Baxter Building- 3 Stanley St., Bloomfield, ON)
DATE AND TIME: October 3rd at 7pm
See you at the Baxter Building,
The Bloomfield Centre for Creativity
ps. be sure to visit TASTE! on Saturday and look out for friends and instructors including (https://www.facebook.com/vaughangroup?ref=hl) who will be official photogs and will be teaching the photo course this fall (if you all sign up!)
We are really excited to be able to present to the community our first EVER season of programming at the Bloomfield Centre for Creativity. Please share the link to the guide with your friends/families/networks so we can spread the word about this exciting project!
We’ll make sure to remind you too about our season’s kick-off event – A Wild Tea Foraging Adventure and Costume Tea Party on the afternoon of Sunday September 30th, so we hope to see you there!
Thanks for your interest in the BCFC! Please send your comments and ideas to guide us as we sprout our centre for arts education in the heart of Prince Edward County!
The Baxter Building
A poem written by 5P at Pinecrest Memorial Elementary School
There’s a road of traffic flowing near me,
and I’ve watched it change and grow.
For sixty-six years I have lived here,
watching a community of growth.
The workers and community members came and went,
and the boy scouts pledged to be prepared.
I still see the tourists return every summer,
But the aroma of pumpkins and tomatoes no longer lingers.
I have experienced cracks, holes, decay,
and felt the claws of time.
Now I’m surplus to my community,
and I wonder, Am I soon to be demolished?
Who will shelter the people,
and who will take refuge in my envelope?
And who will feel my history,
and value my existence?
Who will help me?
But now I hear volunteers are taking action,
to save my foundation from the landfill.
I sense they want to rescue, renovate,
and preserve my weary walls.
They say I shall be “green”,
Eco-friendly and sustainable for a better future.
I see children running to join in,
and taking pleasure and pride in the task.
The community will hold up my structure,
strong and creative, reinventing my usefulness,
A space for artistic expression, accessible to all,
Paying homage to our history.
A parallel text to The Tree by Dana Lyons
Thanks to the great work of volunteers, news about the Baxter Building Project is spreading throughout the County!
Our local media newspapers have helped get the word out, and we had some reporters join us at the Baxter Open House:
Read the newspaper article about the Bloomfield Centre for Creativity Open House in the Picton Gazette:
The Bloomfield Centre for Creativity held it’s first Open House on Saturday April 14th.
It was great to meet everyone and share ideas about the Baxter Building Project!
Here are some photos from the event: